It’s Wednesday evening and it’s snowing again. I really thought I would make it through a week of Thinking Out Loud without complaining about the weather, but I guess not! At least today’s snow isn’t really sticking on the streets and sidewalks.
I wish that I didn’t have such negative feelings about the snow. The combination of Baltimore not being able to handle snow plus it interfering with my running is not a good one. If it’s gonna snow, I would rather it just snow a lot so we get the benefit of a snow day.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s move on to the good stuff. Just kidding, there isn’t really any good stuff coming so if you were looking for anything insightful you might as well stop reading. Today’s post will be mainly random things that have been going on this week that I feel compelled to share on the blog but didn’t fit in well in any other posts. Thanks, Amanda, for giving me the perfect reason to share this stuff!
1. I decided a couple of weeks ago that as part of my goal to not sit as much/have better posture I would try to stand up while using my laptop at home. I created myself a little standing desk station out of a bookshelf. it works. Except right now I am laying on my bed typing this post…whoops.
2. I’m not sure if I have mentioned this but for the last few weeks my heart rate monitor won’t connect to my Garmin. This is really annoying because I have the HRM run with the 620 that calculates VO2 max and recovery time, along with vertical oscillation. I like being able to use those features and its annoying that it stopped working. I contacted Garmin and the only helpful suggestion I got back was that maybe the battery was dead. So I ordered a new one on Amazon for like $5. It was supposed to be delivered last week and still isn’t here.
I really hope that this fixes it because it will be $100 to buy a new HRM.
3. Remember how I was going to start running in the Altras? Yea, well I totally stopped transitioning into them. The last time I wore them was the day I got sick, and then I was away for the holidays, and then I came back to bad weather and minor injuries and they’ve been sitting in the box. Maybe one day I’l give them another try, but now is just not the time.
4. On Monday when I went running I fell on ice…when I was walking. It was really warm out (which is all relative… it was like 35) but I realized a mile into my run that there were some slick spots. Running on the streets and sidewalks was ok (luckily it was light out) but I went to a park area where I sometimes run and it was pretty icy so I ran on the grass. I got to a corner where I couldn’t get out of the park without crossing ice. So I stopped running and very carefully tried to walk over it. Well, I slipped and fell but luckily it was a really light fall because I was barely moving. It freaked me out enough that I decided to cut my run short. Luckily I made it home with no more issues.
5. Speaking of falling down, last October when my blog was still kind of newish I broke my finger while I was running. You can read how it happened here. Anyway, I broke it kind of near the knuckle area and it took a really long time to stop hurting. It had felt fine for about a year and then this week it’s started to randomly hurt again. I know some people say that old injuries hurt in the cold so maybe that’s why? I have no idea, and its something I guess I’ll just have to deal with.
6. I got dry needling on Monday. So far I think its helped a lot. I’m hoping to write a little more tomorrow about what I think is going on but I really get nervous to say I’m feeling better and jinx myself. It’s really crazy the things I am willing to go through to be able to run. I mean who goes to a doctor and requests to have them stick needles in your thigh and butt? And then pays them for it?
Looks like a lot of run, right?
Have you ever tried dry needling?
Have you fallen while running?
Ever have an old injury randomly start hurting again?Other ways to connect with me: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram Follow