January has been over for several days already and I’m not gonna lie- I was happy to see it go! It went by faster than usual (probably because of my time in Florida and the blizzard) but I always feel like January is the toughest month to get through. As I did last year, I am going to try to recap how I did on my goals each month, in a slightly different format than last year.
Summary of January:
This was an interesting month, as it started out with oddly warm temperatures and ended with a blizzard. I felt like I got a strong start on my goals but definitely slacked a bit when I was away and during the blizzard. That’s why it’s important that I keep track of my goals and check in regularly to hold myself accountable.
I didn’t run any races this month, but did manage to run about 99 miles. (If I had paid more attention I probably would have just run 1 extra mile!) I made a trip to the Speed Clinic in Virginia and started working on improving my strength and form. (I still have to post more about that!) I also ran on a treadmill more than I would have liked by doing a free trial at a gym.
I think I fell into a rhythm with my blogging that can work for now. I have been posting about 3 days week, which has left me enough time to also read other blogs and reply to comments. Here are a few posts from this month:
5 Strategies for Breaking through a Racing Plateau (guest post on Laura’s blog)
- Continue to work on staying strong and healthy This month I visited the UVA Speed Clinic where I had a full 3D running assessment and was given specific feedback about my imbalances, weaknesses, and how to address them
- Run/Walk 2016 miles 175 miles ran and walked in January…just about right on track for this goal
- Work towards a BQ No marathons are scheduled for anytime soon. I’m working on building a solid base right now
- Work towards sub 1:40 half I’m starting to think about training for a half, but haven’t decided on one yet
- Do at least 10 push-ups 3 days per week I did this except for the week of the blizzard when I was sore from shoveling. (That week I did push-ups 2 days)
- Improve posture This one has been tough for me. Posture is one of the things I am focusing on after my running assessment but it’s I still find myself slouching all the time.
- Move more I did well with this in the beginning of the month but have gotten off track, especially when it snowed. I felt like I just wanted to be lazy the whole week! Aside from shoveling, of course.
- Focus on saving money I did well with this in January, but now I am starting to think about all the expenses I have this spring and it’s starting to worry me a bit
- Get back in the habit of weekly meal prep I think of the 5 Sundays in January I did meal prep on 3 of them. But one week I knew I was off from work for the snow and the other week I had just gotten back from vacation.
- Make time to unplug I haven’t really figured this one out yet. It’s tough to track, and really hard to do when I feel like am busy and behind on so many things.
Now we are already several days into a new month, so it’s time to focus on what’s ahead!
How did you do with your goals in January?
What are you looking forward to in February?
Thanks Jill for hosting the Life of Fitness, Health, and Happiness link-up!Other ways to connect with me: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram Follow