10 Things About The Pikesville 5k (Race Recap)
Posted on July 17, 2015 | By firstname.lastname@example.org | 55 responses
Last Sunday Rob and I ran in the Pikesville 5k for the third time in four years. I should have written this immediately after the race, so unfortunately I feel like I have already forgotten details about this race. Instead of play-by-play race recap, I am just going to share a bunch of key points about how this race went for me- because really, it was just another 5k….
1. The weather was actually pretty decent for July! As Rob and I ran a 2 mile warm up around 7am it was great running weather. However, by the time the race started at 8am the sun was pretty strong so it did get hot. But not nearly as bad as it could have been.
2. I took a Hammergel before the race and it gave me a stomachache. I haven’t used any gels besides Powerbar Performance Energy Gels in close to a year, and I have a feeling this one may have been expired. I don’t know if they technically expire but it had no flavor to it. And then my stomach started hurting, 5 minutes before the race started.
3. Around mile 1.75 I found myself running alongside about 3 other female runners. We all kind of stuck together, all very tired, occasionally passing one another. One runner (let’s call her “Runner A”) was leading the group but kept stopping to walk, and would then catch up with us again.
4. At mile 2.5 I started to gain some momentum and passed runners B and C. Runner A was still ahead of me, and had a fairly large lead. The last .1 is downhill which I knew (I’ve done this race twice before) so I gave it my all and managed to pass her during the last 100 meters or so.
5. I ended up getting 2nd female. Runner A got 3rd female, and both Runners B and C got first in their age groups. This helped to remove a bit of my guilt about the whole situation. I mean, it was supposed to be a fun race for a good cause, so I didn’t want to seem super competitive!
6. I was really focused on passing Runner A, and had no idea how close I was to a PR. My chip time was recorded as 21:40, and my PR is 21:38. However, my Garmin read 21:43 so I must have stopped it late.
7. Can you believe how close our times are?
8. I won a $100 gift card to a restaurant! This was an awesome prize, although I have never heard of the restaurant (any Baltimore people familiar with Linwoods in Owings Mills?). The first place winners actually won $100 in cash, and the third place winner won $50 in cash! So hopefully we like the restaurant, or I may regret passing Runner A at the last minute😃
9. I was really happy with my recovery from this race. I felt great all day following the race, and was just a little sore on Monday.
10. This was my third time running the course, so it’s important to look at progress!
I also need to remind myself that in May I ran a 22:27, in June I ran a 22:15, and then I just ran a 21:40. So I’m just now getting back in that PR range. Although I’m not sure if I will be doing another 5k any time soon!
Are there any races you have done more than once and compare your times?
Do you think Hammergels expire? Ever eaten an old one?
How do you feel about passing people in small, local, fun races?
I’m linking up with Jill for Fitness Friday!Other ways to connect with me: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram Follow